返回列表 发帖
需要产生动力,是最好的老师.
Same thing happened to my cousin. Keep hanging around Chinese people really kills your chance of getting integrated into the society.
我小姨去纽约混了三年,没花钱学英文也说的很流利了哈。 只能说,这男孩是朵奇葩~~~
还是要说。。。。。
当年,我的两个managers,从美国过来,在国内找供应商,我每天跟着他们出去。
脑子里,每天都是,‘这句话用英语该怎么说?’
结果,两个星期,我的听力和口语突飞猛进。
I was in 6th grade (2nd semester) when I moved to U.S. There was no single person who speak Chinese  ...
rubyho2005 发表于 2011-6-13 01:19

Just curious...given that sort of environment, how is your Chinese now?
回复 21# thendara

Oh, Chinese is still my first language, because that's the language we use at home. I can express myself better and more clearly in Chinese. (Yeah I know this is sad.)
本帖最后由 thendara 于 2011-9-8 19:44 编辑
回复  thendara

Oh, Chinese is still my first language, because that's the language we use  ...
rubyho2005 发表于 2011-9-8 14:48

I am actually surprised that home environment has that big of an influence.  Don't worry (I don't think you are worried but just saying), the longer you stay abroad the more likely your English will improve, significantly, at the expense of your Chinese ability.  Unless you happen to live in one of the Chinatowns, or your significant other also speaks Chinese well and insists on speaking Chinese with you..
本帖最后由 rubyho2005 于 2011-9-8 20:09 编辑

回复 24# thendara

(Sigh~) When I left China, I was already proficient in Chinese. Moreover, I usually prefer reading Chinese fictions, instead of English literary works. (Sorry Mommy, I am a bad girl.)
I read, I listen, and I speak Chinese at home. Chinese is my first language, and I have spent more time studying it than English. (Keep in mind that I was already 11~12 before the immigration. And now I am not even 20 yet.) The Chinese structure has already been deeply implanted into my mind. (Accepting a new language is like accepting a new culture. Think about how different are Oriental and Occidental cultures... Switching from one to another is not an easy task. The younger you are to be exposed under the culture, the easier for you to truly embrace it.) Hence, it is not a surprise that I am better at Chinese.
Maybe I am not that great as a speaker, but at least I can understand my professors perfectly and grasp every word they say during lectures. So far, so "okay."
An individual's language skills will be sharpened as time glides (under normal situation). I expect time to ameliorate mine in the future.
回复 24# thendara

Hm... I don't live in Chinatowns. But it could be because my dad was a Mandarin professor (???) He insists that we must conserve our culture and not forget our roots.
回复  thendara

Hm... I don't live in Chinatowns. But it could be because my dad was a Mand ...
rubyho2005 发表于 2011-9-8 20:15

Your dad is wise
回复 27# thendara

Oh, remember not to praise him too much, or he will be encouraged and become very conceited and go on and on forever... (You know, just like being an professor)
That Learning English well  needs one himself to practise and practise, and that's the only way.
我公公婆婆在国外呆了快三十年来还是只会说最简单的英文,没办法移民城市生活太方便了,根本不需要会英文
How hard did he try? English is really not hard, if the person trys hard, there is always a way to learn.
Mimi
返回列表